E-mail MeDavid Morgan Smith
David M. Smith joined Rodney Hull, Q.C. and Ian Hull in their estate litigation counsel practice in September 1997. In August 1998, Rodney and Ian, together with David as associate, founded Hull & Hull. In January 2006, David became a partner of Hull & Hull LLP. David also maintains a mediation practice through Hull Estate Mediation Inc.
David was an instructor at the Ontario Bar Admission Course (Estates and Trusts) from 1998 to 2005. He is a frequent guest lecturer for both Law Society of Upper Canada and Ontario Bar Association programs. David has had numerous decisions reported in the Estate and Trusts Reports and has authored the following papers:
- Making the Most of RRSP & RRIF Designations (2002) in the program entitled Beneficiary Planning 2002 - Gifts from beyond the Grave.
- Applications for a Variation of Trust/Will Interpretation (2003) in the program entitled Estate Litigation: Pleading, Preparing and Proving Your Clients' Case.
- "Revocation of Beneficiary Designations - Tips and Traps," Will Power (CCH September 2002)
- "Issues in Executor's Compensation," Will Power (CCH May 1998)
David has an LL.B from Queen's University and an Honours B.A. from the University of Western Ontario. He was called to the Bar in 1994. He completed the Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop at Osgoode Hall Law School in 1998.
David is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, the Ontario Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section and the Toronto Lawyers Association. He was chosen by LawDay as one of the top 60 leading lawyers in Canada in the practice area of Estates and Trusts for the year 2009. He is also included in The Best Lawyers in Canada publication (2009) in the area of Trusts and Estates.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Ontario, 1994
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada - 1998
- Major: Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Queen's University, Faculty of Law, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- University of Western Ontario
- Honors: Honours
- "Beneficiary Planning 2002 - Gifts from beyond the Grave", RRSP & RRIF Designations, 2002
- "Estate Litigation: Pleading, Preparing and Proving Your Clients' Case"
- "Revocation of Beneficiary Designations - Tips and Traps", Will Power, 2002
- "Issues in Executor's Compensation", Will Power, 1998
- Instructor, Ontario Bar Admission Course (Estates and Trusts), 1998 - 2005
- Frequent Guest Lecturer, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Frequent Guest Lecturer, Ontario Bar Association Programs
Honors and Awards
- Chosen by LawDay, Top 60 Leading Lawyers in Canada, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Member
- Ontario Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section, Member
- Toronto Lawyers Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Hull Estate Mediation Inc.