E-mail MeSuzana Popovic-Montag
Suzana Popovic-Montag is the Managing Partner of Hull & Hull LLP, who practices exclusively in the areas of estates, trusts, capacity and fiduciary litigation. She also maintains a specialized mediation practice through Hull Estate Mediation Inc., focusing on pre-death and post-death estate resolutions.
Suzana has an LL.B. from the University of Western Ontario and an Honours B.A. from Wilfrid Laurier University. She received mediation training at Harvard Law School. Suzana was called to the Bar in 1997.
Suzana is currently the Past Chair of the Trusts and Estates Section Executive of the Ontario Bar Association (OBA). Over the years, she has been involved in a number of OBA subcommittees, and Suzana continues to chair the monthly Brown Bag Lunches. She is also the Publicity Liaison for the Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (STEP) Toronto Executive. In addition, Suzana is a member of the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Estate Planning Council (Mississauga), the Halton County Law Association and the Advocates' Society.
Suzana is a frequent blogger, podcaster and speaker at various OBA, Osgoode Hall and Law Society of Upper Canada programs. She is a co-editor of Wills & Trusts Law Reports (U.K.) and Trust Quarterly Review (U.K.), and a co-contributor to the text Key Developments in Estates and Trusts Law in Ontario (2008 and 2009 editions). Suzana is also a regular contributor to the OBA Trusts and Estates section publication, Deadbeat, and is the author of numerous academic articles on estates and trusts issues. Her articles are referred to in many of Canada's leading estates texts. Suzana's recent articles include:
The End of a Charitable Saga, Trusts and Estates, Law & Tax Journal (U.K.) (2007)
Good NewsRecent Developments Limiting the Scope of Claims of Solicitor's Negligence, Estates and Trusts Reports (2006)
Revisiting Section 31 of the Succession Law Reform Act The Anti-Lapse Provision', Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal (2004)
Once a Spouse' and Forever Spousal' Obligations?, Trust Quarterly Review (2004)
Suzana was chosen by LawDay as one of the top 60 leading lawyers in Canada in the practice area of Estates and Trusts for the years 2009 and 2010. She is also included in The Best Lawyers in Canada publication (2009 and 2010) in the area of Trusts and Estates.
You can follow Suzana on Twitter: @spopovic
Areas of Practice
- Capacity and Fiduciary Litigation
- University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law, London, Ontario, Canada
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- Honors: With Honours
- Wills & Trusts Law Reports, Co-Editor, Trust Quarterly Review
- Text Key Developments In Estates and Trusts Law, Co-Contributor, 2008 and 2009
- "The End of a Charitable Saga", Trusts and Estates, Law & Tax Journal, 2007
- "Good News...Recent Developments Limiting the Scope of Claims of Solicitor's Negligence", Estates and Trusts Reports, 2006
- "Revisiting Section 31 of the Succession Law Reform Act - The 'Anti-Lapse Provision", Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal, 2004
- "Once a 'Spouse' and Forever 'Spousal' Obligations?", Trust Quarterly Review, 2004
Honors and Awards
- The Top 60 Leading Lawyers in Canada, Estates and Trusts for the Year; 2009 and 2010
- The Best Lawyers in Canada Publication, Trusts and Estates; 2009 and 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Trusts and Estates Section, Past Chair
- Toronto Lawyers Association, Member
- Estate Planning Council (Mississauga), Member
- Halton County Law Association, Member
- The Advocates' Society, Member